Monday, April 25, 2011

Class Schedules 2011

If you have spoken to me in the past year, you will have heard me vent my frustration with the class registration system of VCU. I had an extremely difficult time signing up for classes this Spring semester, and had hoped to have less of a time getting classes over Summer and Fall. Due to my 59 credits, this was not to happen. I have 63 according to TCC, but at VCU I have only 59. One credit more would have allowed me to register three days sooner and thus get my dream schedule with no trouble at all. However, being one credit too few, I had a hard time getting classes again.

Alas, after much badgering of teachers and much refreshing of the registration website, I now present my schedule for the rest of the year:

This summer, I will be taking ENGL 305, Creative Writing: Fiction and HIST 393, Akhenaten to Cleopatra. I am very excited for the Egyptian class! It satisfies 1/2 of my African, Asian, Other History requirement while still engaging my interests. The Creative Writing actually does nothing for my major (history) or my minor (British studies), but I needed more credits and it appealed to me. I used to write very often, but I have fallen out of the habit. So lazy am I! For some reason, VCU decided to have all the history classes at the same time on the same days of the week. How lame. I guess they only expect students to take one class? I decided to finally put in for my minor in order to pick up another class, but sadly all the English classes that suited my minor were closed. So Creative Writing it is! I hope it isn't too much!

This fall, I have a dream schedule! I managed to get into one of the most coveted classes in the department despite an extremely late registration date. Whether I got a seat through badgering the teacher or not, I am extremely pleased with myself. That class is HIST 319, History of England (Part the First), for which I have been excited since before I was accepted into this university! I really hope it is all that I am expecting. Other classes include ENGL 335, Literature of the English Renaissance (Marlowe, here I come!), ENGL 415, The British Novel of the 18th Century, and HIST 345, Civil War and Reconstruction. I am slightly worried about the British Novel Class, since it is a 400-level class and I have never taken above 300 before, although google reassures me that the numbers are largely irrelevant. The Civil War class might go if I can replace it with the Early Middle Ages, which is far more my style.

3 comments:

  1. Rebecca! I didn't know you had a blog! Glad to see you have the perfect fall schedule, especially senior year! Yessss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope you enjoy your class schedule and learn a lot of new things in the following school days! :)

    dejoiss ♥

    http://dejoiss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    This is lolitachan009 from DoA. Call me Willow. ^_^

    If you'd like any help, please let me know. I went to VCU not so very long ago...BA in English with minor in British Studies.

    You picked some good classes. If you want to talk more about them, you can PM me @ DoA.

    ReplyDelete